Brief History of the Bermuda Regiment
The Bermuda Regiment has a proud history of service at home and overseas, building on the distinguished service of its predecessor units. Bermuda’s military history is a glorious story that is not often told.
Whether in Warwick or Warminster, Middletown or Morocco, the Regiment continues to expand its local and international horizons.
While local militias were raised from time to time since colonization, an Act of Parliament in 1895 formally raised organized units to supplement the regular British Army garrisons on the island.
The BMA and BVRC served in France during the First World War and suffered terrible casualties. The BMA served in the Royal Garrison Artillery and the BVRC served in the 1st Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment. Battle Honours were earned throughout the European campaign in which over 100 Bermudians lost their lives. Many were conspicuous in their service, with Bermuda’s soldiers earning, amongst other commendations, the Military Medal for Gallantry.
Post World War II Bermuda was full of military activity with the continuing garrisons, the active HM Dockyard under the Royal Navy and the well-established bases of the Americans and later the Canadians. Within a dozen or so years, the advent of the so-called Cold War had changed the face of the world, including Bermuda.
The first decade and a half of the Regiment’s existence was characterized by the social climate and disturbances of the time for which the Regiment was embodied:
The strength and role of the Regiment was reviewed following the disturbances of 1977 and the Gilbert Report led to significant expansion of the Regiment in terms of structure and training. The decade presented further social change as the Regiment slowly defined its role within society.
The new millennium saw the Regiment branch out further into the international arena, expanding its training with its sister regiments (see Affiliations) and supporting countries in need.