In 2017, the Royal Bermuda Regiment (RBR) is forgoing its annual overseas training exercise and remaining in Bermuda to support the Government’s commitment to host the 35th America’s Cup. This will be the longest sustained operation the Regiment has undertaken. During this period, soldiers will work for one of three two-week periods during May and June. The Regiment will be providing direct support to the Event Authority, ACBDA, and to the Bermuda Police Service.
The Regiment will hold responsibility to the Event Authority and ACBDA for the following:
- Joint Agency Control Centre (JACC). The RBR will provide a senior commander and clerk to the JACC, the main command centre for AC35, during event days.
- Personnel Screening in the Event Village. Every day that the Event Village (EV) is open to the public, the RBR will conduct screening of all members of the public. There will be 10 lanes into the EV for the majority of the public. Additionally, there will be 2 lanes for private charter entry and 2 lanes for Super-Yacht / VVIP entry. In total, there will be 29 soldiers working on daily details for patron screening.
- Vehicle Accreditation into Dockyard. Based on Malabar Road during the hours of racing, 4 soldiers will be responsible for granting access into Dockyard for accredited vehicles. Non-accredited vehicles will be re-routed back along Lagoon Rd.
- Vehicle Screening into EV. Outside of the times when the EV is open to the public, commercial vehicles will be allowed entry into Cross Island via Freeport Drive. The RBR will control access and search / screen as the threat dictates.
- Harbour Manager. A senior commander has been selected to take the role of the Harbour Manager for the duration of AC35. Working to the Chair of the Security Ctte (in addition to the Harbour Master) he will be responsible for ensuring only cleared vessels enter the Cross Island side of the Harbour.
Support to BPS during AC. The RBR will directly support the BPS during AC35 as follows:
- Support to Maritime Ops. The Boat Troop will backfill BPS Marine Section manpower from 1 May – 27 Jun. Generally, they are providing 3 – 4 soldiers on each of the 4 shifts.
- Support to Police Support Unit (PSU). The RBR’s Operational Support Unit (OSU) will backfill the BPS PSU manpower during the AC window. Similar to Boats, they will be placed on one of 4 shifts working in partnership with their police colleagues.
Accommodation for AC35. The Regiment has received numerous requests for housing during AC35. The Camp was block-booked for the Red Bull Youth Sailing, with approx. 181 guests, however, we will also be providing accommodation for other groups supporting the America’s Cup.